Saturday, January 19, 2008

Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy

I didn’t think that I would like listening to an audio version of a picture book, but I thought I’d give it a try. I downloaded Jane O’Connor’s, Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy, read by Isabel Keating. My initial instinct was correct.

I have several thoughts on the experience -

  • While Isabel Keating's reading of the book was not bad, the accompanying music was both distracting and annoying.
  • The running time of Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy is a mere five minutes. I wonder if the download process might be lengthier than the listening process.
  • The value of a picture book lies in its pictures as much as its words. Even if the young listener has the book in hand, the absence of a “tone” or “chime” makes it impossible for a child to know when the page should be turned. If an adult is present to tell the child when to turn the page, the adult could just as well be reading the book – a more satisfying encounter to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment