Monday, February 4, 2008

Today I Feel Silly & Other Moods that Make My Day

I just finished Today I Feel Silly & Other Moods that Make My Day by Jamie Lee Curtis. In spite of my suspicion of celebrity authored children’s books, I liked this one. The rhyming text flows nicely and reflects the interests and concerns of a young school-aged child, “Today my mood’s great, it’s the absolute best. I rode a two-wheeler and passed my math test. I played soccer at recess and we won the game. I sang in the show and my parents both came.”

The illustrations by Laura Cornell are bright, busy and reflective of the protagonist’s many moods. Interestingly, Booklist notes “The wild, vibrant watercolors occasionally overwhelm the text and aren't as successful in reflecting the emotions as the words are,” while Publishers Weekly notes the opposite, “…the repetitive, driving rhythm doesn't allow the words to soar the way the illustrations do.”

In any case, this book is in the spirit of Dr. Seuss’, My Many Colored Days, but aimed at 4-8 year olds. The cardboard mood wheel at the end will surely delight young readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment