Monday, January 12, 2009

Marley and Me

Marley and Me. 2008. 20th Century Fox.

This is an equally heartwarming and heartbreaking movie based on the book of the same name. I have only read the children's version of the book, Marley: A dog like no other, which I reviewed earlier, so I cannot say for sure if the movie is faithful to the adult title, Marley and Me. What I can say most emphatically, is that despite the humorous and heartwarming movie trailer, this is not a movie for young children. The movie, starring Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston, follows the lives of the married couple as much as that of the dog, Marley. I would not recommend taking a child with whom you would not want to discuss sex, failed pregnancies, or contraception. Conception is a recurring topic in the movie. A co-worker told me of a mom that planned her young daughter's birthday party at the movie. All partygoers ended up crying in the theater lobby, and poor mom had to call all the parents with an apology!

That being said, I took my own daughter to this movie and we thoroughly enjoyed it, laughing and crying out loud in the theater. Marley and Me is a realistic look at one dog's influence on a young and growing family. Through the best of times and the worst of times, Marley does what dogs do best - love unconditionally. And, as the movie asks, how many people do you know that can do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment