Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (the movie)


Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi and Ron Barrett, first published in 1978, is a classic children's book of the small town of Chewandswallow and its unique edible weather. It's been one of my favorites since my kids were small.

When I first saw the trailer for the new movie of the same name, I was worried. There appeared to be little correlation between the book and the movie.

I was right to be worried. After seeing the movie, I was extremely disappointed. Aside from the fact that the entire premise of the book (freakish weather phenomena) is missing from the movie (in the movie, the precipitating food is an experiment gone awry), the movie is lacking the charm and innocence of the original story. In fact, as my daughter put it,

"It's just another movie about someone who needs to save the world to get his dad to love him."

Sad.

If you're a fan of the book, skip this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment