Monday, September 28, 2009

Time traveling ...


In the last two weeks, I've read (or listened to) three time-traveling books, and they could not be more different from one another - a Newbery medal contender, a gripping historical fiction adventure series, and a funny bit of futurama for chapter book readers.

First, When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (2009), published by Wendy Lamb Books. This book is hands-down, the best book that I have read this year! It deserves a more thorough review, but for now, take my word for it - read this book! (and don't read any reviews with spoilers - the book's unpredictability is one of its most dynamic features) I hope this one's on the Newbery Medal short list.

Next, Day of the Assassins by Johnny O'Brien - just released and reviewed here.

and finally, Herbert's Wormhole by Peter Nelson, illustrated by Rohitash Rao, and narrated by Jonathan Davis.


This is a silly bit of slapstick, alien slaying, time traveling adventure (complete with zero-gravity T-ball!) that, based on the audiobook, I thought would be a good choice for young chapter book readers. However, when searching for cover art to add to this post, I realized that Herbert's Wormhole is actually a "novel in cartoons," a la Diary of a Wimpy Kid. A better choice for reading than listening, I'm sure! Unfortunately, my library doesn't own a print copy yet, but the Amazon preview looks cute.


Bottom line? All three books are suitable for varying audiences and ages, and When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead is dynamite! Read it today.
And now, my time traveling adventures are done for while.








No comments:

Post a Comment