Monday, March 22, 2010

Non-Fiction Monday: Sonia Sotomayor

Alas, it's been a busy weekend, and I don't have anything prepared for Non-Fiction Monday, but I encourage everyone to check out this week's host site, Books Together

Although I don't have a review prepared, I did check out Atheneum's, bilingual Sonia Sotomayor: A judge grows in the Bronx, written by Jonah Winter and illustrated by Edel Rodriguez (2009).

According to the book jacket, Sonia Sotomayor is a Children's Book-of-the-Month Featured Selection, and and also an Alternate Selection of Mosaico.  Despite these honors and the book's illustrious subject, I found the writing slightly disappointing. Jonah Winter's "familiar" style and does not fit with the lofty story of this hard-working justice from the Bronx.
She was also known for having no patience for lawyers who weren't prepared - you better not mess with Judge Sonia!  Yet she was known for much more than this.
I can't speak as to how the book flows in its Spanish translation.

I did however, enjoy the overall comaprison of Sonia Sotomayor with a tenacious vine that thrives and blooms with care and hard work. The artwork is soft and simple, and accurately portrays Sotomayor's Latina heritage. This is a perfect choice for Women's History Month.

OK, so I guess I did have something for Non-Fiction Monday.  It's amazing what one can accomplish in a lunch hour.

I will be hosting Non-Fiction Monday on April 12th.

No comments:

Post a Comment