Monday, October 11, 2010

Skit-scat Raggedy Cat: Ella Fitzgerald

Orgill, Roxanne. 2010. Skit-scat Raggedy Cat: Ella Fitzgerald. Ill. by Sean Qualls. Somerville, MA: Candlewick.

There are other picture book bios of Ella Fitzgerald, but this is the best one I've seen. An unvarnished look at her tattered upbringing that manages to be honest but uplifting at the same time. Rich, emotion-filled illustrations take center stage and offer a feeling for the era, the music and the woman, while remaining accessible to children. An extensive bibliography is included. Makes you want to queue up a record and dance!




Want to know more?  Visit the official Ella Fitzgerald website.

It's Nonfiction Monday again and this week's host is Anastasia Suen's Picture Book of the Day.  Anastasia is the creator and organizer of Nonfiction Monday!

Share |

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, this is the best picture book on Ella! If you haven't seen it, you might enjoy the author's guest column on my blog back in July: http://www.rascofromrif.org/?p=11089. I do love Miss Ella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely check out your July post! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this picture book. It's one of our best in my opinion. Roxane Orgill never disappoints. I especially love her Fred & Adele Astaire bio-picture book Footwork. It's great too.

    ReplyDelete