Friday, February 25, 2011

Lemonade, Won Ton, and the Book: a poetry preview

A librarian plans early.  My mind is often several months ahead, planning library programs. I recently attended Booklist's webinar, "Spring into Books: Terrific New Titles for Youth."  There were many books previewed that I look forward to seeing, but I had an eye out for poetry titles, with April's National Poetry Month bubbling in the back of my brain.

I don't have these books yet, but here are three just released or soon-to-be released poetry titles that look very promising.

Wardlaw, Lee. 2011. Won Ton: A Cat Tale Told in Haiku. Ill. by Eugene Yelchin. New York. Macmillan.

 
It's the story of a shelter cat who finds a home - written entirely in haiku. 


Also from Macmillan, Bob Raczka's, Lemonade: and Other Poems Squeezed from a Single Word. (Ill. by Nancy Doniger)

Just like the title says, these  poems are each created from a single word. How much fun can you have with that? Lots!

And finally, from Holiday House

I Am the Book, a collection of poems selected by Lee Bennet Hopkins and magically illustrated by Yayo.

Jane Yolen, Naomi Shihab Nye, and others are included in I Am the Book. This one's due out in March and it looked delightful.


I'm hoping that all of these arrive at my library soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment