Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Bake Sale (a review)

Varon, Sara. 2011. Bake Sale. New York: First Second. (Advance Copy supplied by publisher)

Sara Varon, author of the acclaimed, Robot Dreams, has returned with Bake Sale, a story featuring Manhattan bakery owner, Cupcake, his best friend, Eggplant, and themes of friendship, determination, and self-determination. 

 With humor (imagine Cupcake and Eggplant in the Turkish Bath with Celery and Kosher Salt),

Eggplant:

Whoa! Your wrapper is starting to peel!

Cupcake:
Oh my gosh!  That's so embarrassing!  We'd better get going!

and with heartfelt expressiveness (Cupcake wistfully watches the band pass by, with Avocado taking his place on drums)

Sara Varon has given us another honest tale of friendship, though one with a cautionary note. We cannot have it all, and through our priorities, we determine what we will have.

Following the story is an illustrated chapter containing "Cupcake's Repertoire," and a delicious repertoire it is! Raspberry Squares, Brownies, Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting, Marzipan, Dog treats, and Peppermint Brownies.

(And oh, yeah, the illustrations of Madison Square Garden are spot on!)

Another winner from Sara Varon!
More reviews @



I think I may be forming a favorable bias towards anything published by :01 (First Second).  Their offerings are top-notch!

*spoiler alert*
I should point out that both of my teenage girls enjoyed this book but expressed disappointment in not knowing the outcome of the Exotic Baked Goods Contest.  As for me, I think the absence of that knowledge underscores the idea that perhaps it is the journey rather than the goal that is most important.  You decide for yourselves.

2 comments:

  1. I ordered this book for my library. I want to look at it when we receive it. I loved the little comic from unshelved!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll love Bake Sale, and Unshelved is always funny! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete