Monday, December 5, 2011

Books that will change your world view

My posts have been few in the last week or so.  We are in the midst of renovations and the house is in chaos.  Without cabinets or counter tops, I have been without water in the kitchen since last Friday.  Even now, with the new cabinets in place, I am still without water, waiting for the counter top installers and plumber to install my new sink and dishwasher.  It’s a hassle.  I’ve been complaining.  I’m washing dishes in the bathroom.   Why am I sharing this?  Because as I make my “best of” lists for 2011, I am reminded of the two books that I read this year that will remain with me throughout my life.  Both concern water.


So here they are, my 2011 choices for


"Books that will Change your World View”

(One children’s book and one adult book)

Park, Linda Sue. 2010. A Long Walk to Water. New York: Clarion. 

Fishman, Charles, 2011. The Big Thirst: The Secret Life and Turbulent Future of Water. New York: Free Press. 

The book titles are linked to my earlier reviews.  I sincerely hope that if you haven’t read either of these books, you will consider it.  A Long Walk to Water, in particular, is a book that will stay in your mind for years to come - both haunting and hopeful.  Both will change the way you think of water forever.  Shame on me for complaining about my sink. 


It’s Nonfiction Monday again.  Today’s round-up is at Gathering Books.  Please stop by.


4 comments:

  1. We don't think about this issue much in this country, but in parts of the world things are getting truly scary. Thank you for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so much about Linda Sue Park and I feel like I'm missing out on a lot by not reading most of her writing. I've read her 39 clues book, but not her other award-winning novels as yet. Will definitely check this out (and the big thirst as well). Thank you for participating in Nonfiction Monday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both of you for stopping by, and Myra, yes, do check out Linda Sue Park's other books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding me about The Big Thirst. I've not made time for it but it does signify an important issue. I've read A Long Walk to Water and liked it but don't think it resonated with me as strongly as it did for you. Not sure why. I think both storylines are strong and I liked how they connected at the end.
    The two recommendations are good books to pair up.
    Tammy
    Apples with Many Seeds

    ReplyDelete