Monday, December 19, 2011

Favorite Nonfiction 2011 *

At this time of year, I usually have plenty of nonfiction titles to choose from for my "best of" lists.  This year, however, my nonfiction list comes with an asterisk.

 * I'm looking forward to serving as a 2nd round judge in the 2011 Cybils Non-Fiction Picture Books category, and while I've read many of the nominated books, I haven't read them all, and won't receive the "shortlist" until next month. My personal reading list to date did not mirror the Cybils nominees and there is a possibility that I may have missed a great nonfiction title.  When the shortlist comes out, I will certainly give each book careful consideration.

That being said, to date, my favorite 2011 nonfiction titles (linked to their reviews) are:
   

Additionally (in no particular order)


 Adult Nonfiction

I read/listened to only three major works of adult nonfiction this year.  Here are the two that I loved!  They cannot be more different.

(I did not review Bossypants, but will mention here that it is smart, insightful and hilarious - much like Tina Fey herself.  Contrary to what one might think, there is no political agenda in Bossypants. Despite her Saturday Night Live parodies, Fey speaks well of Sarah Palin. There is, however, much adult language which may be off-putting to some.  The audiobook is read by Ms. Fey herself and contains audio clips from SNL, and numerous asides to the listener of the audiobook.  It is clear that many passages were added specifically for the audiobook version.  Very funny!)
Today's Nonfiction Monday roundup is at Practically Paradise.

4 comments:

  1. I recently finished Bossypants and can vouch that it is indeed hilarious. Tina Fey IS Liz Lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike! I think A Nation's Hope is fantastic and will be part of my favorite 10 books of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you agree, Jeff. I’ll be looking for your top 10 list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I've read a few reviews from the titles that you've given, I haven't heard of all - it's my first to hear of the following:
    Self Portrait with Seven Fingers: The Life of Marc Chagall in Verse; I Spy with my Little Eye and Meadowlands: A Wetlands Survival Story.
    I believe Meadowlands is included this week in one of the Nonfiction Monday posts - and I may have seen the Chagall book - but it's great that you've wrapped up your favorite 2011 titles in this post. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete