Monday, May 28, 2012

My Body - a review

Pinnington, Andrea and Penny Lamprell. 2012. My Body. New York: Scholastic.

This isn't the usual type of book that I would read aloud to kids at the library, but here's why I like it. The children featured in the photographs are adorable (toothless, toothy, bespectacled, goofy, sweet and culturally diverse), but more intriguing are the cartoon depictions of the body's internal structures, superimposed over previously mentioned adorable children.  The concept of ear canals, nasal passages and the like are easier to grasp when they can be seen in the familiar setting of a friendly face.  Additionally, the very simple, large-print text makes this a book that one might even excerpt during storytime.  The pages thick and sturdy. There's an index and a glossary.





My Body comes with a free digital companion book, that may or may not be useful to you, depending on your circumstances.  The book is part of Scholastic's Discover More series.  On the one hand, I really like it.  On the other hand, it's one more in a constantly expanding realm of beginning readers with ambiguous designations (Emergent Reader 4+, Confident Reader 6+, Expert Reader 9+).  For the record, My Body is an "Emergent Reader." Thankfully, the age suggestions are not written on the book itself. 

Overall, it's fresh.  It's new, and it's eye-catching.  I like it.


Today's Nonfiction Monday roundup is at Perogies & Gyoza.
(I'll be hosting on June 11)


 I sincerely hope that you enjoy your Memorial Day holiday and that you are able to take some time out to remember those who died in the service of our country.  

1 comment:

  1. We have a fantastic book about the human body from OwlKids, it's a kind of lift-the-flap book. As happy as I am with it, it is not a read-aloud book. How fab would it be to have one to read aloud?

    ReplyDelete