Thursday, July 5, 2012

Words, words, wonderful words!

Here are two books that are beautiful celebrations of words and books.  Enjoy!

At a recent "family reading night" event, I was looking for a short book to read to begin the evening.  Lucky for me, this one had just arrived on my desk a few days earlier:

  • Joyce, William. 2012. The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore. Ill. by Joe Bluhm. New York: Atheneum.

The book is wonderful, but to truly appreciate it, you must see it all. The website, the film (only 15 minutes long and readily available on the web), the app!  The film won the 2012 Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film. 


The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr Morris Lessmore Trailer from Moonbot Studios on Vimeo.

Here's the app ad:


And although it's hard to follow all that, another book celebrating the power of words and worth mentioning is

  • Wimmer, Sonja. 2011. The Word Collector. English translation by John Brokenbrow. Madrid: Cuento de Luz.
Beautiful!

Read the Kirkus review of The Word Collector.

2 comments:

  1. I just used the app for my Pajamarama kids - they looooooooved it. It made me a huge hit, plus it's so much fun I love to play with it, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what are your Pajamarama kids? (and I'm glad they liked it!)

    ReplyDelete