Friday, January 4, 2013

Coming attractions ....

Happy New Year!  It's been a hectic few months, and it's time for me to get caught up.  This is what you can look forward to on Shelf-employed in the coming weeks:

I've got piles of new books to read but here are a few that I know I won't miss:


Other coming attractions ...


Coming up in March, Margo, of The Fourth Musketeer, and I, will again host our month-long celebration of Women's History Month at KidLit Celebrates Women's History Month.  We'll have a guest post for each day in March, and as in the previous two years, the lineup will be a stellar group of authors, illustrators, and kidlit bloggers. Follow the blog and watch for the lineup that we'll be posting soon.

And in musical news,

By TJCWemba at en.wikipedia [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or
CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)],
from Wikimedia Commons

I've got a ukulele!  Thanks to this post and encouragement from Tess Goldwasser, I asked for a ukulele for Christmas.  I plan to bring more music and fun to storytime with my nice, new, Red Burst Makala Dolphin ukulele.  What better to accompany poor singing than poor playing?  Seriously, I'm practicing very hard and hoping that the kids will like it.  In any case, I'd love to hear from any of you who may be ukulele players.  All advice, particularly for storytime use, will be cheerfully and gratefully accepted.  I'll let you know how it goes.

And a final few notes ...

If you didn't catch my post on the ALSC blog today, see how life as we know it would change "If the world were a children's novel..."  A bit of humor for the weekend.

If Facebook or Twitter is more convenient for you,  I've got a fledgling Facebook page and I'm @shelfemployed on Twitter.

If you cannot find a review you're looking for on this blog, use the search bar on the right or visit my searchable collection of over 1,000 books and nearly 600 reviews on LibraryThing.

That's where I stand at the cusp of a new year.  How about you?

3 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting collection of books shelf-employed! I think you had to do a lot of searching to come up with an interesting list of books, where each appears to be markedly different from one another.

    My favorite is going to be the first one about the so called 'evil', 'scheming' and 'ambitious' women, who defied all social norms and did what they thought correct and none of them were ever too excited to the idea of being submissive to menfolk. Infact most of them had men wrapped around their little finger.

    Women are intriguing and there is hardly any body who has been able to unravel them and as far women in this book are concerned, they can be subjects of long research, lasting many years.

    Jeff Rivera

    Bestselling Author

    "UM ... MOMMY I THINK I FLUSHED MY BROTHER DOWN THE TOILET"

    http://amzn.to/RUltKc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for ukulele! Keep practicing! You'll be awesome! I'm not a great singer either, but it hasn't stopped me, as you can tell from a few of the latest videos on my youtube channel haha - http://www.youtube.com/user/inferiortechnology

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Tess. Yesterday was my first attempt at playing for the under 3 crowd. A great audience, I must say. ;)

      Delete