Monday, May 6, 2013

Just Being Audrey - a review

Cardillo, Margaret. 2011. Just Being Audrey. New York: Harper Collins. Illustrated by Julia Denos.

I usually review newer books, but Just Being Audrey just arrived in my branch last week. I'm so glad it did!   Don't take my word that it's wonderful, watch the trailer and visit illustrator Julia Denos' site, to view five pages from Just Being Audrey.



Julia Denos' illustrations superbly capture the delightful bubbly essence of Audrey Hepburn.  Cardillo's text does the same,

Audrey had become more than an actress; she was an inspiration.  While most Hollywood starlets were curvy and wore glamorous outfits, Audrey would only be herself.  She was always slender, she wore her hair short, and her clothes were simple and elegant.  It was such a different style that it got its own name: the Audrey look.
This is a book that will appeal to adults as well as older children.  It would be a great choice for an elementary school-age biography assignment, or for grandparents to share with their grandchildren.  I loved it!


Today's Nonfiction Monday roundup is at Anastasia Suen's, Booktalking.

3 comments:

  1. Delightful! I've added this to my MUST READ list.

    Loree Burns
    www.loreeburns.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this book!

    I have just started the SLIS program at TWU! So, after noticing you attended the same program, i'd love to ask you a question. Summer semester is coming up and I am wondering what a reasonable credit load is? I have nothing to go off of at all. I am not working - and really have no plans this summer so I'd like to take as many as possible. Can you give me some sort of idea? Thanks so much! I am SO excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Personally, I never took more than 1 class in the summer. The semester is so compressed that the work load is very heavy. I wouldn't suggest taking more than 2 in the summer session. My best advice is to take some of Sylvia Vardell's classes if you can. It's been a few years since I completed my degree, but if I can be of any assistance, feel free to contact me via gmail. I'm shelfemployed. Best wishes, Lisa

    ReplyDelete