Monday, June 3, 2013

Monday Morning Miscellany v.6

Monday Morning Miscellany v.6 - Name-dropping or Why I love my job - even on my day off! 


Odds and ends today ... it was a busy and short week, capped off with Book Expo America in New York City.



(A reminder: the Nonfiction Monday roundup will be right here at Shelf-employed on June 17th)

  • I attended Book Expo on Friday.  My main purpose in going is to pick up advance review copies of upcoming books and to pick up some possible prizes for the kids in my library's summer reading program.  This year's theme in New Jersey and other states and cities around the country is Dig Into Reading!  If you're a parent, expect to see a lot of "underground" themed programming this summer!


I did pick up some great new upcoming books that I'll be writing about soon, but I was also star-struck enough to wait in line to meet several authors and artists.

Although I hadn't even realized he'd be at Book Expo, there was no way I'd pass up an opportunity to meet Buzz Aldrin and receive an autographed copy of his new book, Mission to Mars: My Vision for Space Exploration (National Geographic, 2013).  I gave the autographed book to my daughter, who is studying aerospace engineering, and was inspired to do so by a book.  May this book inspire her to greater heights!

Buzz Aldrin
Doesn't he look great?
©L Taylor

On the other end of the spectrum, I had specifically planned to wait in line for an autographed copy of Tom Angleberger's, Art2 - D2's Guide to Folding and Doodling (Abrams, 2013).  His books are wildly popular with kids and the boys in my book club just love them!  If that weren't enough, he's kind and funny. He ran the length of the very long line of people waiting to meet him and hi-fived every one of us before sitting down to sign autographs.

It was only luck that afforded me the opportunity to meet award-winning Gene Luen Yang, graphic artist and author extraordinaire.  I was the very last person in line and received the very last autographed copy of one of the Avatar: The Last Airbender books.  Sadly, there were no copies available of his upcoming boxed set, Boxers & Saints, but I'm counting on NetGalley to provide one for me!





I also was able to meet Oliver Jeffers (a favorite picture book author of mine), who was signing a new book by David Almond, The Boy Who Swam with Piranhas (Candlewick, August, 2013), illustrated by Jeffers.



Every author/illustrator/astronaut (!) that I met was patient and friendly - just "regular folks,"  how wonderfully refreshing.

Sharon Creech, one of my favorite middle-grade authors, was not at Book Expo, but I picked up a copy of her next book, The Boy on the Porch (Harper Collins, 2013), and read it on the train on the way home.  More on that one later...


I'm also looking forward to reading T. Neill Anderson's, City of the Dead: Galveston Hurricane, 1900 (Charlesbridge, August, 2013), and I'll be featuring Charlesbridge's Volcano Rising, by Elizabeth Rusch, when I host Nonfiction Monday later this month.


That's a wrap.  Too many books, too little time!  Have a great week.

One final note:
Although I've been sharing Linda Sue Park's delightful book, Bee-Bim Bop (Clarion, 2005), with storytime audiences for years, I've never eaten it (despite the fact that she includes a recipe in the book).  I finally remedied that problem.  I ate bee-bim bop for lunch in NY, and it was delicious!!
If you've never tried it, don't wait as long as I did.




2 comments:

  1. How exciting meeting all those amazing people. I mean, Buzz Aldrin? Yaaay! It is so obvious you had a great time. Thank you for sharing this with us. I am anxious to hear your thoughts on, The Boy on the Porch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm so jealous that you met all those amazing authors. I'm especially awestruck that you got to meet Buzz Aldrin. While his book isn't necessarily something that would appeal to people of all ages, your back story about your daughter being in her field after getting inspired by a book made me smile. It's amazing what a book can do to a person's life.

    ReplyDelete