Monday, July 1, 2013

Picture Book Roundup - funnybone tickler edition

If you're a public librarian with a very popular summer reading club, you need patience and a happy disposition. Here are three funny new picture books that are guaranteed to put you in a good mood - unless you're a goat (more on that later).  I wish I'd had these books when I made 25 school visits this month!


These monkeys are so cute.  Who wouldn't want to count them?  But first, you'll have to find them!

It's fun. It's easy.  All you have to do is turn the page ... and Count the Monkeys.
YIKES!  1 King Cobra has scared off all the monkeys.  Turn the page very slowly, very carefully so he doesn't notice us.
... And so it goes. King Cobras, mongooses (or is it mongeese?), bee swarms, lumberjacks - everything but monkeys! You won't find them until the endpapers.  Kids will love not counting monkeys!  Fun, fun, fun.


  • Daywalt, Drew. 2013. The Day the Crayons Quit. New York: Philomel. (Illustrations by Oliver Jeffers)
Duncan's crayons are not happy, and they've let him know it.  Each crayon has written him a letter - in crayon, of course - to complain about a problem.  Yellow and orange are fighting over which is the true color of the sun.  Poor blue is overworked,

I have really enjoyed all those oceans, lakes, rivers, raindrops, rain clouds and clear skies.  But the BAD NEWS is that I am so short and stubby, I can't even see over the railing in the CRAYON BOX anymore! I need a BREAK!
Your stubby friend, Blue Crayon
 Peach Crayon's problem is even worse - he's naked! But, no worries - Duncan has a colorful solution. Great concept and stellar illustrations.

See a great selection of artwork from The Day the Crayons Quit at Oliver Jeffers' site.

This is Drew Daywalt's first picture book.  Can you get any luckier than to have Oliver Jeffers illustrate your first picture book?

  • Shea, Bob. 2013. Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great. New York: Disney Hyperion.

Goat had it pretty good until that show-off Unicorn moved in!  One time, Goat "made marshmallow squares that almost came out right."  And what did Unicorn do?  "He made it rain cupcakes!"

Look at me! I'm Unicorn!  I think I'm so-o-o cool!  blah, blah, blah, blah, blah ...
Poor goat. But don't feel too sorry for him - sometimes a goat can make the unlikeliest of friends!
Loaded with humor, attitude, and goofy fun.





Although I was feeling more funny than factual today, don't let that stop you from visiting the July 1, 2013,  Nonfiction Monday roundup at Ms. Yingling Reads. (Can it really be July already?)

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Quick question that's totally off topic. Do you know how to make your
    site mobile friendly? My site looks weird when browsing from my iphone.
    I'm trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to resolve this issue.
    If you have any suggestions, please share. Many thanks!



    Feel free to surf to my site ... Anabolika

    ReplyDelete