Monday, January 27, 2014

ALA Youth Media Awards

I just returned from ALA Midwinter meeting in Philadelphia (one of my favorite cities and home of my favorite baseball team!).  It was a great day, and I picked up many new and hopefully wonderful books, as well as some favorites and award winners.

This morning was the annual announcement of the American Library Association Youth Media Awards - a highlight in the year of every children's librarian.

I was pleased that I had read most of the award winners, and many of the honor books.  Below are links to my reviews of three of today's distinguished winners. I wish I had reviewed them all!  Congratulations to all of the ALA Youth Media Award winning authors and illustrators as well as the librarians who worked all year to choose them!


The complete list of award winners can be found at http://www.ala.org/alsc/2014-alsc-media-awards.


John Newbery Medal

DiCamillo, Kate. 2013. Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated AdventuresSomerville, MA: Candlewick. (Illustrated by K.G. Campbell) (click for review)

Sibert Medal

Roth, Susan L. and Cindy Trumbore. 2013. Parrots Over Puerto Rico. New York: Lee & Low.  (click for review)


Schneider Family Book Award and Sibert Honor

Bryant, Jen. 2013. A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace Pippin. New York: Knopf.   Illustrated by Melissa Sweet. (click for review)




No comments:

Post a Comment