Thursday, February 18, 2016

How May I Help You? #librarylife

Bonbon Break
 I can't count the number of times that people have made comments to me similar to these:
  • "It must be nice to be able to read all day."
  • "Are you a volunteer?"
  • "You need a master's degree for your job?"
  • "I could read to kids for a living."
  • "A librarian? Oh, you must know the Dewey Decimal System."

No one ever makes these comments to be rude, they just don't know what it is to be a librarian.  In fact, I am consistently amazed that, considering the training we have, how little people expect of us. It occurred to me that we (as a profession) don't do a good enough job of explaining the many ways that we can, we will, and we do help people every day.  To that end, I wrote an article for the online magazine, BonBon Break, titled, "5 Things You Didn't Know about Librarians."  It's been on social media for about a month now, but if you haven't seen it, I hope you'll give it a look.  Here's the link:


No comments:

Post a Comment