Wilcox, Leah. 2008. Waking Beauty. Ill. by Lydia Monks. New York: Putnam.
A preschooler just came in thinking that today was storytime. I didn't want to send her home disappointed, so I pulled out Waking Beauty, a rhyming, fractured fairy tale. We all know that the princess needs a kiss, but Prince Charming has a hard time figuring it out.
"The fairies all began to hiss,
'She'll only wake to True Love's --'
'Wait!' Prince Charming waved his hand.
'Don't worry, girls, I understand.'
And stooping o'er her snoring snout,
he dumped a water pitcher out."
The prince tries several methods, including shooting Beauty out of a cannon, before he figures out what is truly required.
"He poked her muddy, matted curls.
'I've heard that there are germs on girls.'"
The surprise ending is funny as well. Very cute!
Book reviews (and news) you can use. A librarian's opinion on books and media for children and young adults
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Beneath the Waves - a review
As we read disturbing news accounts of dying manatees , environmental disasters caused by toxic waste, and ocean pollution on the scale of ...
-
I'm delighted to host today's Nonfiction Monday. My contribution for today is Marc Aronson's If Stones Could Speak: Unlocking th...
-
Welcome to Shelf-employed! I'm the host of this week's Nonfiction Monday . Grubman, Steve and Jill Davis. 2010. Orangutans are Tic...
-
Gutman, Dan. 2012. Election! A Kid's Guide to Picking our President. New York: Open Road Media. Advance copy provided by NetGall...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.