There are however, numerous other awards including (but not limited to) the National Book Award for Young People's Literature, the Cybils Awards (chosen by bloggers and for which I have twice been a judge), The Schneider Family Book Award (which recognizes excellence in portraying the disability experience), the Coretta Scott King Awards (recognizing books by African Americans that reflect the African American experience), and the Pura Belpré Awards (honoring books that celebrate the Latino cultural experience).
Also recently awarded were the Sydney Taylor Book Awards for children and teens. These awards are given to books that "authentically portray the Jewish experience." You can read the official press release here: [http://jewishlibraries.org/blog.php?id=315]
Many schoolchildren are introduced to the Jewish experience only through Holocaust education. The Sydney Taylor Awards recognize all aspects of Jewish culture.
The Association of Jewish Libraries asked for my assistance in promoting this year's winners, and I am happy to do so. A complete list of winners and honor books is below.
If you haven't read any of the winners of these or other awards celebrating the many facets of our diverse world, consider adding several to your TBR pile.
The Sydney Taylor Book Award Winner for Younger Readers:
- Ketzel, the Cat who Composed by Lesléa Newman with illustrations by Amy June Bates (Candlewick Press)
- Adam & Thomas by Aharon Appelfeld, translated by Jeffrey M. Green with illustrations by Philippe Dumas (Seven Stories Press)
- The Hired Girl by Laura Amy Schlitz (Candlewick Press)
- Everybody Says Shalom by Leslie Kimmelman with illustrations by Talitha Shipman (Random House) Shanghai Sukkah by Heidi Smith Hyde with illustrations by Jing Jing Tsong (Kar-Ben Publishing)
- Hereville: How Mirka Caught a Fish by Barry Deutsch (Amulet Books)
- Serendipity’s Footsteps by Suzanne Nelson (Alfred A. Knopf, an imprint of Random House) Stones on a Grave by Kathy Kacer (Orca Book Publishers)
Keep watch for the 2015 Cybils Awards winners. They will be announced on Valentine's Day, February 14th.