I received an advance copy of I am Princess X months before the book's actual release. The artwork wasn't completed—but it didn't matter. Even with sample art and text descriptions of illustrations, I loved it. I shared it with my colleagues, I gave it to one of the kids in my book club, I nominated it for a 2015 Cybils Award in the YA Fiction category (fingers crossed). The one thing I didn't get around to doing is reviewing it. So, better late to the party than never ...I am Princess X is a unique mix of webcomic and prose. Set in Seattle, it's a mystery, a thriller, and a look into a lifestyle that includes the literal Seattle underground and the dark web.
Here's a quick booktalk you can use:
May is 16-yrs-old when she begins seeing stickers and graffiti of Princess X throughout Seattle. When May was younger, she and her friend, Libby, created the Princess X comic. May wrote the story and Libby illustrated it—but that was years ago—before Libby died. So who's drawing Princess X now?
I think it's a sleeper hit, that will only become more popular with time. It received starred reviews in School Library Journal, Publishers Weekly, and Booklist.
You can listen to an audio excerpt of I am Princess X here: [http://iamprincessxbook.tumblr.com/post/124693032795/listen-to-an-excerpt-from-i-am-princess-x] (not sure how that will work without the embedded comic book pages)
The Canadian Scholastic site also posted a print excerpt. You can access it here: [http://www.scholastic.ca/books/view/i-am-princess-x]

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.