It's the end of the year and I had great plans of writing about all my favorite books of the year - there were so many! But there was also ALSC committee work, my fledgling freelance writing career, that five days a week thing they call work, and my family. As I write this, I'm waiting for the last of my children to arrive home for the holidays (one's flight was canceled, the other one's delayed).
So, for now, the best that I can do is this:
In middle grade fiction, I loved Echo: A Novel by Pam Muñoz Ryan. Here's a link to my review: http://shelf-employed.blogspot.com/2015/02/echo-novel-review.html
In picture books, If You Plant a Seed by Kadir Nelson is simply perfect. My review is here: http://shelf-employed.blogspot.com/2015/03/picture-book-roundup-new-or-coming-soon.html
I listened to lots of great audiobooks, but I think Me and Earl and the Dying Girl was tops. I reviewed it for AudioFile Magazine. Here's the link: http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/reviews/read/101740/ (Diary of a Mad Brownie is a very close second!)
For the best in dealing with sad news, I was taken by Anastasia Higginbotham's, Divorce is the Worst (for school-aged kids), and Todd Parr's, The Goodbye Book for little ones dealing with loss.
In adult books, it was Lafayette in the Somewhat United States by Sarah Vowell. It's no surprise. I love everything she writes. I love my well-researched history with a humorous dose of irony and sarcasm.
Whether I review a book or not, if I've read it, I log it and star it in LibraryThing. Yes, I know that Goodreads is more popular, but LibraryThing's aesthetic matches mine. I'm comfortable there. You can see my virtual library of over 1600 searchable books and 800 reviews on LibraryThing.
I may take the next week off, perhaps not, but just in case - best wishes for a safe and happy holidays.
Book reviews (and news) you can use. A librarian's opinion on books and media for children and young adults
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Beneath the Waves - a review
As we read disturbing news accounts of dying manatees , environmental disasters caused by toxic waste, and ocean pollution on the scale of ...
-
I'm delighted to host today's Nonfiction Monday. My contribution for today is Marc Aronson's If Stones Could Speak: Unlocking th...
-
Welcome to Shelf-employed! I'm the host of this week's Nonfiction Monday . Grubman, Steve and Jill Davis. 2010. Orangutans are Tic...
-
Gutman, Dan. 2012. Election! A Kid's Guide to Picking our President. New York: Open Road Media. Advance copy provided by NetGall...




Hope you have great holidays. Thanks for the tip about Library Thing. I joined a couple of years ago, but hardly ever return to it. I'll have to check it out again.
ReplyDeleteLibraryThing is a little more bookish and a little less "social" (as in social media) than Goodreads, and that suits me just fine. :)
Delete