but,
I also remember that it's summer, that kids have summer reading assignments, and many (I'd guess most) kids do not care if the books they read are "distinguished books." They just want books they like. So, I am reminded of something every would-be librarian learns in library school - Ranganathan's five laws. I won't share all five with you, just the two that matter at the moment:
2. Every reader, his book.Simple, but profound, and particularly timely in the summer. So, taking a break from my mock Newbery reading, I share the following:
3. Every book, its reader.
A new Dav Pilkey book is due out next month, Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Return of Tippy Tinkletrousers! (Scholastic) It won't ever win a Newbery award, but thousands and thousands of kids will be rejoicing over this latest installment.
and
here's a new book that should appeal to fans of Captain Underpants and Stone Rabbit:
Proimos, James. 2012. Knuckle & Potty Destroy Happy World. New York: Henry Holt (Macmillan).
When I saw this cover, I just had to read it. Any book with Knuckle and Potty as its protagonists just begs to be read. I wasn't the only one taken with the book. I'll leave the reviewing to Gene and Bill of Unshelved today. This hysterical graphic novel deserves a comic review from the masters.
Print this out from the Unshelved site, put it on display with the book and watch Knuckle & Potty Destroy Happy World fly out of your library in the hand of a young boy.
| From the Unshelved site, Friday, July 13, 2012 |
Coincidentally, I wrote this post last night, and today at work, one of my favorite young readers came in looking for Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Return of Tippy Tinkletrousers! I had to deliver the bad news that it won't be out until August 28, but I was ready. I had Knuckle and Potty in hand, and the boy and his mother took them home - laughing.
The (happy) End.
The moral of this story: (see rules 2 and 3)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.